Thursday, November 6, 2014

A bike, roses & new tennis shoes

What do they have in common? They are the real life places where love, romance and friendship flourish.

A bike. I've wanted a cruiser bike for a couple of years now and I finally got one last week for my birthday. Dave has been looking on Craigslist for the perfect one. He knew I wanted one with a retro look and a wide, comfy seat.

I’ve never met a man who listens the way he does. He picks up on the things that are important to me and makes them his priority. His love for me shines through and captures my heart again and again. Not that it’s not his for the taking, but he seldom allows it a chance to be anywhere else.

Roses. October 31 – some know it as Halloween. Some know it as a stressful day to get the kids all decked out in costumes. Some know it as just another day. I will forever know it as the anniversary of our first date. I don't expect Dave to remember, but he does. I definitely don't expect any romantic gestures because he is romantic all year long.

This year, however, he enamored me with a dozen roses and beautiful words. The roses were stunning and they made me feel really special, but it was his words that brought thankful tears to my eyes. He tells me God helps him to write the right stuff…and I believe that, but I also believe it’s in his desire to romance me that these ideas unfold.

The greatest part about those words is that I don’t need them to believe them. He already makes me feel that way and when I read the words, it’s like my heart says, “he lives this out each day.” So, while I soak up the flowers and words, it’s the daily actions that surround them to give them so much meaning.

New tennis shoes. I'm getting into my running groove again and I needed a new pair of tennis shoes. Dave spent Saturday morning helping me try on shoes and pick the perfect balance of cute and cushy. This meant multiple pairs of shoes and multiple stores. And, a little Chick-fil-A break in between. 

Shopping is not for the faint of heart and most guys, including Dave, don’t have a huge tolerance for it. But, our friendship is deep and it's out of that firm foundation we built years ago that he honors me by going with me, bringing me shoes and being a part of the process. Now, he certainly doesn’t go on every shopping excursion, but he knew I needed/wanted his input and that's when it really counts.

I love the quote, “love is friendship set on fire.” If I could add one little thing to that it would be, “love is friendship set on fire, fueled by romance.” I know it takes a lot more than those three things to make marriage work, but they sure make it fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment