Tuesday, January 17, 2012

My Version of the Daniel Fast

Our church is doing a Daniel Fast right now and pastor has asked everyone to think about something they can fast. I've decided to fast sugar in the form of baked goods, candy and drinks. It always seems easy at first. It even sounds alluring...maybe I will lose a vanity pound or conquer the sugar cravings. But then real life begins.

My flesh hits me in the face when I walk into the break room where coffee and creamer are calling my name. I start questioning if God really wants me to do this. I mean, I didn't really pray too much about it so maybe I shouldn't do it. In the afternoon, I see the left-over candy bars from a work event. What if I just have one bite-size snickers and start over tomorrow? God will understand. Right? It's interesting how soon we try to justify something when our flesh is weak yet in control.

I've done fine today but I can't say I am taking the opportunities to ask God to fill me and draw me closer to Him in those moments that I am abstaining. Isn't that part of the process - the whole idea? Why else am I doing this?

I think I've tried to make fasting convenient for my own life. I choose to fast sugar because it is a healthy choice. Should I fast TV? Nope - that would be highly inconvenient. Should I fast Facebook? Well, I did that once and it was hard. I think I remember having more time to do other things.

I am committed to my sugar fast, but I hope and pray there's an inner transformation to take place. More than anything, I want to know I am progressing on this journey and in my relationship with God. I can't say that I've seen much of that over the last year. I need more of Him and much less of me.

Lord, I ask You to help me seek You and draw close to You when I denying myself. I ask You to renew my spirit and help me to grow in You. I need You. I ask You for help. In the name of Jesus, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment