Tuesday, January 3, 2012

New Life

I had been trying to nurse a peace lily into full bloom for a couple of years. I followed instructions for indirect sunlight and watered it once a week. No blooming. I waited patiently and sometimes not so patiently. No blooming. When I moved into another apartment, I brought it with me. When I moved to another state, I brought it with me.

I must mention that this particular peace lily was given to me after my cousin's funeral. He had tragically taken his life and it was a heartbreaking service. When it was offered to me, I questioned if I truly wanted it. It didn't represent peace to me and I wasn't even sure I could keep it alive. However, I saw the potential of what joy it could bring me and the challenge to nurture something so I adopted it for what I hoped it would become.

Three years later, on Easter morning, I walked into my living room to see it had a budding flower. I could not believe it! I was so excited I took a picture with my phone and sent it to my mom. Overjoyed, I stared at it with a sense of fulfillment.

As I sat there, I began to think about new life. God has called us to live this new life and He promises to be with us along the way. How many times has He taken care of me even though I wasn't "blooming" with beauty. I've had a bad attitude, I've held on to fears, I've allowed complacency to get between He and I - I've been a potted plant with no visible signs of bloom. Yet, He never gives up on me because He knows my potential for beauty. He sees beyond my stagnant growth.


New life is a promise. I pray that I share this promise with those who aren't showing the signs of bloom, with those who are in need of soulcare, with those who need it most. Lord, give me eyes to see through the rough, unkempt and fruitless exteriors.

No comments:

Post a Comment