Friday, November 8, 2013

I sometimes question my level of faith

I don’t know about you, but I sometimes question my level of faith. Do I have enough? By accepting what appears to be taking place in my life, am I giving up? Should/how do I believe for a miracle that may not be God's plan?

Yeah, tomorrow God could heal me and we could get pregnant but that's not what it looks like right now. Figuring out how to hope for something with a surrendered heart is HARD STUFF.
 
A couple of nights ago, Dave and I listened to a sermon by Stephen Kuert, An Atmosphere of Faith. We were challenged to examine our hearts and evaluate if we are cultivating an atmosphere of faith. A challenge we did need.

When going through a situation that only God can change, it's easy to pull back on faith. That's why it's important for me to continue to feed my spirit, to surround myself with those that believe with/for me, to focus on scriptures that swell with God's faithfulness and to keep regular communion with God.

After listening to the sermon, I had a lot of thoughts and a few tears. Has my faith decreased? I don't think so. Has my faith changed over the years? Yes, it has deepened. I have seen God perform miracles in my life and I have seen Him allow me to go through the undesired. Both have brought about wonderful blessings in ways I could not have foreseen. I would say my faith has evolved from a girl that believed God would do anything she asked to a woman that believes God will do what is best in His omniscient eyes.
 
For me, it comes back to where my faith truly is. I do believe God can perform any miracle, but my faith lies more strongly in the fact that God is sovereign and His will is best even if I don't understand. I trust that He will use my pain for His glory. I trust that He will use my brokenness for His purpose. I trust that He will bring beauty from my mess.

I also trust He will bring me joy in the morning. I trust He will carry me when I'm weak. I trust He will never leave me. I trust He will walk with me through the fire. I trust that He will work all things for my good. I trust that He is faithful to His word and He will not fail me.

As I think about my faith, I see that faith and trust are intertwined. If I believe, I can trust. If I trust, I can believe. And, that's where total peace is found. Peace that surpasses all understanding. Peace that reaches into my heart and calms the raging storm.

Hebrews 11:1 says, "Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see."

So, here's my personalization of this verse, "Faith is the confidence that my hope for God's perfect will in my life will actually happen; it gives me assurance about things I cannot see." 

No comments:

Post a Comment