Monday, November 11, 2013

Waffles, sanchos & a hope chest

Last time I went to visit my mom; she made waffles for breakfast and her famous sanchos for dinner. It was like getting into a time machine and going back to my childhood. There's something amazing about how a certain food or smell can take you back to a sweet spot in your life. It's like being connected to those people and memories all over again.

 
The waffles were my grandma's recipe. She passed away about 19 years ago so I imagine it's a huge comfort to my mom every time she pulls out that recipe and brings those same ingredients together. As I watched my mom standing in her kitchen, I wondered if she was thinking of her mom and all the times she made these waffles.

The sanchos were my mom's invention. I believe she concocted this delicious meal out of her love for Mexican food and the necessity to feed a family of seven. As I was eating, I couldn't help but think of all the meals she prepared for us. We didn't know how much work went into feeding such a big family, and she never told us.
 
There was always so much love in everything my mom and grandma did for us. I think that’s because they both had a sincere love for life and those around them. It's inspiring and challenging. I want to be remembered for those kinds of qualities. I want those I love to look back on our memories and be surrounded by warmth.

Before we left, my mom offered me a hope chest she's had all these years. She wasn’t sure I'd want it because it has a little water damage. Let me just say, I love that chest for many reasons. The main reason is it was my mom's.  It's been a part of my memories for as long as I can remember. How could she even question if I'd want it? I don't know. Needless to say, I happily took it.

After I got home, I opened the chest and ran my fingers across it. I cannot explain the comfort and joy that I felt. It was like a cozy fire had been lit around my heart. I just stared inside the chest and pictured the different things I remember my mom had stored in it. I thought about what I would store in it. More importantly, I thought about how I’d have this piece of my mom near me.  

So what do waffles, sanchos and a hope chest have in common? They represent the gifts my mom gave me – a flood of memories that have made me who I am and remind me who I want to be. Waffles will always remind me to be kind and generous. Sanchos will always remind me to love and laugh. And, my hope chest will always remind me to treasure the past, enjoy today and have hope for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment