Friday, December 6, 2013

She would take my place if she could

When my mom said she would take my place if she could, it gripped my heart. I know my mom is selfless and would do anything for her children, but hearing her say those words brought a deeper realization of her love for me.

Sometimes we need to know someone would take our place. Sometimes we need to hear the words.  I am facing the likelihood of a full hysterectomy in the coming months so THIS is one of those times.

The moment my mom took my hand and told me she wished she could take my place on the operating table will forever be etched in my mind. With tears streaming down her face, such love exuded from her. The sincere sympathy for my pain and the desire to walk this part of my path for me did more than give me “warm fuzzies.” It has changed the way I see a mother’s love and, in that, God’s love for me as my heavenly Father.

As I thought about God’s love for me, I was reminded there is someone that has already taken my place in the most important way. Jesus died so my soul could find freedom and my spirit an eternity with Him.

I close my eyes and I can see Jesus taking my hand, telling me that He has taken my place. He took my place on the cross and He will not leave my side for a second as I walk this road. What a powerful and sobering moment. I am humbled. I am grateful. I am encouraged.

Healing continues to pour over my heart as I work through fear, hurt and disappointment. God’s presence faithfully surrounds me when I feel as though this is beyond my strength (because it is!).

I will keep walking knowing He’s with me and, even though my mom cannot take my place, I know she wishes she could and somehow that brings my heart comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment