Sunday, December 22, 2013

Words of confirmation and healing

God used my dad, stepmom and brother to speak words of confirmation and healing yesterday. I am going to try to articulate what happened but I feel it will be inadequate compared to what truly took place in my heart.

The first call of the day was to thank my dad and stepmom for the awesome Christmas card they sent us. It is a ginormous card that opens up to a scene of penguins snowboarding everywhere with a button to press for “Wipeout” music. I laughed thinking of Dad and Cathie picking it out together.

Cathie answered the phone and before it went very far, she asked how I was feeling. I hated to give her the bad news, but the last couple of days have been very rough with pain and soreness. I told her it was likely I’d be calling my doctor after Christmas to schedule surgery.

She immediately began to encourage me and remind me of God’s plan being bigger than ours. She said they supported my decision and that, no matter what, they want me to be healthy. Dad got on the phone and reiterated what she had said. It was a real conversation with no fluff or opinion of what I should do, which is what I need these days.

The second call was to my brother, Scott. He had called the night before but we had some friends over so I said I’d call him back in the morning. We talked for a few minutes and then he said he had called last night because we’d been on his heart and he’s been doing a lot of thinking which led to a lot of praying. He wanted to reassure us:

No matter what happens, I don’t think you’re giving up on God.

You and are Dave are faithful; having surgery doesn’t mean you don’t have faith.

Without a doubt, I believe you’re going to be great parents, however that comes.

He said a few other things that are too private to share, but I can say that only God knew what my heart needed to hear. It confirmed what I felt God had already been speaking to me and brought healing to hurting places.

To be completely honest, Dave and I just sat there crying as Scott spoke. It was a special time as we felt God’s presence wash over us. I am at a loss for words even trying to describe it now, but God poured out His love on us through the words of others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment