Thursday, December 5, 2013

Job questioned God

The book of Job is well-known for Job's faith being put to the test. His family died, he lost everything he owned, he was stricken with disease, and his closest friends berated him. Through all of this, Job did not sin against God, so I decided to take a closer look at his journey. I found five distinct phases that seemed to parallel with my own life.

This is not an attempt to compare myself to Job, but I can look to his life and his response to the pain and delusion he experienced. Job questioned God but he trusted through the darkest of times, he kept the communication open with God when he didn't understand and he found rest in knowing God was the author and finisher of his life.

Job has lost everything and everyone dear to him; he begins to question what he's done to bring this upon himself and then he goes right into asking God “What is going on?”

13 23 Tell me, what have I done wrong? Show me my rebellion and my sin.
24 Why do you turn away from me? Why do you treat me as your enemy?

When something goes wrong, I usually try to figure out what I did to make it happen. When I find that I have no explanation, I go to God. Sometimes it's for comfort. Sometimes it's for strength. And, then there are those few times it's to ask "Why?" so I can understand. 

After not getting the answers to his questions and his situation not being any better, Job spirals into an abyss of hopeless brokenness.

17 11 My days are over. My hopes have disappeared. My heart’s desires are broken.

Most of the time, I don't need a concrete answer because I truly believe that God is sovereign and He is working out His plan. However, there are times that a situation draws out more questions and I dig deeper to find that I can still trust Him. With that deep search, comes a deep valley to walk (or crawl) through that takes my heart through the trenches of despair.

As Job continues to search his heart, he begins to process his grief by telling his friends off and keeping it real with God.

21 4 “My complaint is with God, not with people. I have good reason to be so impatient.
5 Look at me and be stunned. Put your hand over your mouth in shock.
6 When I think about what I am saying, I shudder. My body trembles.
34 “How can your empty clichés comfort me? All your explanations are lies!”

It's interesting that even the most well-meaning person can offer what they feel to be encouragement but it's really discouraging and, in some cases, completely wrong. In order for me stay surrendered to God, I've had to learn how to deal with my emotions and with other people's emotions. I've had to place my desires back in the melting pot to offer them to God for whatever He wants to shape them into. I've had to filter out other people's desires and systems for what they want or how they'd handle my situation. That hasn't been easy, but it's helped me cling to God and listen for His voice alone.

When Job realizes his place in God's plan, there is an undeniable change in his attitude – there's a sense of overwhelming peace with his surrender.

23 10 “But he knows where I am going. And when he tests me, I will come out as pure as gold.
11 For I have stayed on God’s paths; I have followed his ways and not turned aside.
12 I have not departed from his commands, but have treasured his words more than daily food.
13 But once he has made his decision, who can change his mind? Whatever he wants to do, he does.
14 So he will do to me whatever he has planned. He controls my destiny.
 
It's a beautiful and relieving feeling to remember who I am in the grand scheme. God is God and I am not. God is faithful. He is in control and I am not. God's ways are higher than mine, His thoughts are deeper than mine and I can trust His plan to be much better and much bigger than mine. Whew! Why do I waste so much time and energy trying to figure it all out when He clearly has it? Because… I'm human and He knows that.

 As the reader, I feel the freedom when Job completely relinquishes control of trying to figure out God.

 40 3 Then Job replied to the Lord,
4 “I am nothing—how could I ever find the answers? I will cover my mouth with my hand.
5 I have said too much already. I have nothing more to say.”

When I live in that place of peace and surrender, there's calm trust that steadies my heart. I let go of the reigns and allow God to guide. I let go of my own ideas and allow God to work His plan. Letting go is the hardest part, but it's also the most freeing part.

No comments:

Post a Comment